Thursday, December 15, 2011

Reflections ...



As I sit here in my recliner making "blue"tiful ornaments for our family ornament exchange, I have had lots of time to think.  I have spent the time reflecting on the reason I am making these ornaments.  Beautiful, blue circles, all sparkly and ready  for our family to hang on their Christmas trees.  Why blue circles you ask?  Because that is the symbol for diabetes.  No, I don't like, want, or try to make everything about diabetes but, honestly, it is hard to get away from.  I spend my life trying to keep three sets of blood sugars, shots, pumps, and carbs straight in my mind.  I have alarms that go off every three hours, all day, every day.  Therefore, I advocate.  I wear blue shoes every day.  I participate in Promise to Remember Me meetings.  I volunteer and do the walks.  Why?  Because I want to make others aware of diabetes, I want to educate and erase the myths, I want those who are in contact with my children to really understand diabetes, I want a cure.

So this year, I made ornaments.  To most people they are just pretty blue ornaments.  To me, they are another step to educate, to advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment