Saturday, January 29, 2011

A very sad day

I didn't sleep much last night.  When I had signed of the internet, our diabetes family had lost 3 precious lives.  This morning I found out that this month, diabetes has claimed five lives.  I am in shock, I keep crying.  How and why is this happening?

I rarely sleep anymore as it is.  My fears are not unfounded.  When Lydia was diagnosed, the Dr said the likelihood of any of my other children being diagnosed was slim.  1 year and 4 months later, Trevor was diagnosed.  Of course, having a third child diagnosed was unheard of, according to the Dr.  Well, 7 months later Prisca was diagnosed.  The Dr tells us that complications and death are rare and if we are diligent we don't have to worry about it.  I used to be lulled into complacency by this but, no more.  Now I fear that every time I check on my kids, I will find that diabetes claimed one of them for its one.  Diabetes claimed my sister, Diabetes has claimed no less then 7 lives in the last 4 months.

What will it take to find a cure?!?

Today, I will go about my business with a very heavy heart.  I will hold my kids close, I will tear up when I look at them, and I will thank God for sparing them another night.

No comments:

Post a Comment